The Abbaye at Bonnevaux is home to a residential community living
in the spirit of the Rule of St. Benedict.
The original foundations and extant cloister of the Abbaye date to the 12th century – the main building experienced significant remodelling in the 19th century. Our renovation of Bonnevaux respects the heritage of the past while meeting the needs of the present. The main house has 15 rooms, capacity for 20, accommodating the resident community and visitors. The ground floor accommodates communal spaces and facilities including a library, lounge and dining areas. Bedrooms are situated on the first floor. The Community moved to the Abbaye in 2019, when we had the first Holy Week Retreat at Bonnevaux and the official blessing, later in that same year.
The Abbaye was planned in an H-shape with a central core, dating from the late 18th century, flanked at the ends by two protruding wings. These two wings are older than the central building as is evidenced by their vaulted rooms and Medieval fireplaces.
Although archival evidence suggests a much earlier origin, documents show that an Abbaye, affiliated to the Order of Cîteaux, was built here in 1201. The superb gallery of its former cloister (listed as a French Historic Monument) and several vaulted chambers in the Abbaye are the remaining extant structures dating from the 12th century.
This large, 2-storey residence has a sober, balanced architecture, its facades featuring regularly spaced openings. The building has numerous doors leading outside, a large stairway and three back stairways that lead up to the first floor.